Start with Keyword SmartSearch: Operators and filters respond to your specific needs, giving you control to single out your keywords that competitors already avoided.
Details: Start with Keyword SmartSearch
1. Enter your domain along with at least 2-3 other relevant competitors or more. For each domain, enter it using site:domain.com. Include a (+) sign in front of your domain, and include a (-) sign in front of each competitor:
2. Filter out any branded keywords. (Notice the * operator to help with variations of “papa” or “papajohns”)
3. Run the search again, but this time exclude any known keywords that you don’t want to buy or match on. Papa John’s sells pizza, but they aren’t relevant to pizza recipes.
4. Repeat step 3 with various keywords or conditions. For example, let say you don’t want to bother sifting through potentially thousands of keywords that don’t cost much, so you set a Cost Per Day parameter. We also removed “pizza” to cut through a lot of keywords we want to keep.
5. Continue to remove irrelevant keywords (making note of what they are).
5. Double-check the search to make sure you aren’t excluding anything that you need. Here, we are requiring an excluded keyword just to single out the odd matches that we won’t want or need. (+domain +excluded keyword1)
6. Take note of what you’ve covered. Address them in your Adwords manager.