We are looking for a creative genius to join our team at SpyFu. You will be designing and building the user experience for SpyFu.com.
A passionate audience relies on us to help solve their Search Engine Marketing problems. Your job will be to design and build a user interface for them that makes hundreds of terabytes of data as clear as possible. Often times, we have to think way outside the box and create new visualizations from scratch (see SpyFu Kombat or Ad History). But, ultimately, it’s about taking lots of information and making it clean, snappy, and actionable for our customers.
- 2+ years experience.
- HTML5, CSS3
- Web design experience + a strong portfolio.
- Really good problem solving skills.
- Drive to “get things done”. SpyFu is a small company, and you’ll be required to wear many hats. The management is also pretty loose, so you’ll need to be able to keep yourself on task and make decisions that you wouldn’t have to in a big company. ** This is a the toughest thing for us to measure, so if you can think of a way to show us this side of your character, please go out of your way to do it.
Should Haves, but not absolutely required:
· Application design, User Experience, Interactive design, Navigational design.
Nice to Have (so be sure to tell us about):
· ASP.NET, .NET MVC
· Designing for conversions — Ads, Conversion Rate Optimization, etc.
· Internet Marketing Knowledge (CRO, SEO, PPC, etc.)
· Communication passion (do you like writing/blogging, video skills, podcast, twitter)
You can go to SpyFu.com and type in any domain name and see every keyword they buy on Google Adwords, every keyword they rank on organically, and how their ad copy and search rankings have evolved over the last 7 years. On top of that, our goal is to tell people not just what is going on but how to act. So, we need to figure out which keywords, ads, and content are actually profitable – and then show that information to our customers in a context that allows them to take action.
It’s a fun challenge, and we are the best in the world at what we do.
Based in the Scottsdale Airpark, SpyFu was launched in 2006 and is a self-funded, profitable and growing SaaS/subscription company.
If you get the job, you’d be the 14th full time employee (not including the founder). But, that doesn’t mean we expect you to give up benefits:
· We offer health benefits through your choice of providers.
· Retirement Plan (401k) with 4% matching.
· You get an office – with a door.
· Food and beverages are provided. (pretty much name it and it will magically appear)
· We have a commercial-grade automatic espresso machine.
· Lots of Toys: From unicycles to Xbox One, we’ve got the toys.
· We have a keg – actually two kegs. Right now, one of them is a homebrew by one of our developers (called SpyBrew White IPA), and the other is a Dos XX Amber.
· We play ping pong – a lot. We even have a ping pong robot. Oh, yeah, and there’s a ping pong instructor that comes in to give lessons every Friday.
· Foosball is kind of the new ping pong for us. There’s at least 3 games a day these days.
· There’s a rock climbing wall. Seriously.
· We also have a boxing and MMA trainer come in twice a week.
· Oh, and there’s a masseuse every week. And a hair stylist once a month. Yep…
Learn more about our history and culture at spyfu.com/company
We pay market-competitive salaries.
Equity / Options: Ask about that at the interview, but rest assured there’s a nice upside.
Partner: At SpyFu you have the chance to make partner. What that means, is that when you work on a product, and that product is successful, we’ll share its profits with you – as a direct percent. So, the more successful the product is, the more your paycheck goes up every month. So, for example, one of our developers gets a couple percent of SpyFu’s revenue because he’s written a decent amount of the code. When we launched SpyFu, that accounted for a very small percent of his salary, now it accounts for a very large part of it.
This is a pretty unique compensation option. We’ve never heard of anyone doing it before, but it’s pretty awesome and really connects you to the work you do. The latest release had a higher conversion rate? You paycheck goes up this month.
At SpyFu, we understand that our people are what make us awesome, and we invest in getting the right people on our team and keeping them around once they’re on board. You might be waiting for the shoe to drop. We’ve had people tell us that the job sounds too good to be real, and they almost wrote it off as SPAM. The truth is, this IS in many ways the perfect job. It is real.
We are real.
But, to get the job you have to be really, really good. The interview process is the toughest in the valley. But, the cool thing is that once you make it, you realize that every single person you work with also had to pass that bar — which is awesome.